There are about 1200 Roller Flour Mills in the country which grind about 18 to 20 million tonnes of wheat per
year into wheat flour (maida) and other products like semolina, resultant atta and bran. About 45 to 50 million
tonnes of wheat is ground into whole wheat flour (atta) on job-work basis in villages, towns and even in large
cities by small electric or diesel driven stone mills, known as chakkis. Domestic packaged branded atta market
is estimated at 2 million tonnes is about 2% of total atta market.
Activities related to wheat milling at FMBCT :
Rheology of wheat flour dough
- Development of technologies for speciality flours for bakery, traditional and extruded products.
- Assessment of quality of wheat and milled products.
- Online and batch systems of Flour fortification.
- Technology development for production of different milled products viz., maida, atta, etc.
- Consultancy for setting of roller flour mill, flour fortification and atta plant.
- 20 tonnes per day wheat milling pilot plant facility for training of the students of one
year International Certificate Course in Flour Milling Technology and the participants of
various short term courses
- Rheology - science concerning with stress-strain, time relations of materials.
- Stress can be compressive, tensile or shear. Strain is measured by deformation.
- Evaluation of visco-elastic properties of wheat flour dough
Health bakery products
High Protein & High Fiber Bakery Products
- Rheology of wheat milled products.
- Role of additives in wheat flour dough characteristics.
- Premixes of additives for improving quality and shelf life of bakery, traditional and extruded products.
- Influence of wheat proteins and fractions on quality of products.
- Development of health, nutritional and therapeutic bakery, traditional and pasta products.
Low Sugar Bakery Products
- For growing children.
- As protein supplement.
- Intake of dietary fiber - reduces the prevalence of diseases like colon cancer, coronary
heart diseases, obesity, diabetes and hypertension
- Sugar intake is linked to - Tooth decay, Obesity, Cardiovascular diseases, Promotion of diabetes
Chapati, South Indian Parotta, North Indian Parotta
- Upma, Kesari bhath, Instant payasam, Instant cake, High protein upma, Eggless cake
Puri, Pani Puri & Samosa
- Fortified with vitamins
- 12 days shelf life
- Zero TFA
- β-glucan rich
- Protein, fiber and minerals enriched
Wheat based extruded products
Value Added Pasta Products & Therapeutic Pasta products
- Protein, fiber enriched & fortified
- Optimization with improved quality